Frequently Asked Questions: School Allowance

  • School Allowance

    In the majority of cases, KidsLife pays the Study Allowance, also known as School Allowance, to the parent(s), beneficiaries or benefit recipient.
    Adult children who are in secondary education and are married, independent or single, receive the Study Allowance themselves.

  • School Allowance

    KidsLife receives all the necessary information from the Flemish Government. We automatically pay the School Allowance or Selective Participation Allowance (SEPAR) based on this information. The timing of your Study Allowance payment therefore depends on several factors. Study Allowance payments are made from the end of August until December. 

    The payment of your School Allowance is dependent on the completeness of the information we receive from the Flemish Government

    Please note: No application is necessary! Already receiving your Child Benefit or Growth Package from KidsLife? We ensure that all families with an entitlement to the School Allowance receive this automatically. Handy, right?

  • School Allowance

    We make a distinction between nursery/primary and secondary education. For the latter category, you can retain your Study Allowance entitlement until the year in which the student turns 22. There is no age restriction for BuSO (special-needs secondary education) and HBO5 Nursing. 

    You must request the Study Allowance or Education Allowance in Higher Education from the Flemish Government.


  • School Allowance

    The School Bonus is a school premium (or education allowance) for all families with children and is automatically paid by KidsLife in August, together with your Child Benefit for the month of July.

    The Study Allowance is a supplementary amount for low-income families. KidsLife automatically pays this before the end of the year to all families who are entitled to it.

  • School Allowance

    KidsLife makes things easy by automatically paying the Study Allowance at the end of the year.

    You can submit an application:

    • If you live in Brussels or Wallonia and your child is attending a recognised Flemish school. Contact us and and we’ll investigate your  Study Allowance entitlement.
  • School Allowance

    If you received School Allowance and your son or daughter stops studying before 30/06 of the school year, you will have to repay the School Allowance. Contact your KidsLife advisor, we will be happy to help you. 

  • School Allowance

    The KidsLife Child Benefit Fund pays the Study Allowance up to and including secondary education. Is your son or daughter now pursuing higher education at college or university? Then you’ll have to apply for the education allowance yourself via the Flemish Government. The education allowance from the Flemish Government has largely the same conditions as those for the Study Allowance.

  • School Allowance

    The study allowance or education allowance is paid to the child benefit recipient. However, it’s calculated based on the family income of the parent(s) or actual caregiver(s) with whom the child is domiciled. If the child is married, self-sufficient or living alone, then the study allowance is calculated based on the income of the child and their cohabiting partner if applicable. 

  • School Allowance

    You’ll automatically receive the Study Allowance or Education Allowance if you’re entitled to it, providing that you live in Flanders and up to and including secondary education. 
    Don’t live in Flanders? Then you can apply for the Study Allowance from KidsLife. 
    Is your son or daughter attending higher education? Then you must submit an application to the Education department. 

    View all of the conditions that apply to the Study Allowance here


  • School Allowance

    Since school year 2019/2020, the Study Allowance has been paid by the Child Benefits Funds. For all previous school years, the Study Allowance was paid by the Flemish Government. 

    Are you applying for the Study Allowance at KidsLife for the first time now? Or are you a new client? KidsLife always examines your entitlement to past Study Allowances with 5 years retroactivity. We can go back to school year 2019/2020 at most.

    However, it is no longer possible to apply to the Flemish Government for Study Allowances from before the school year 2019/2020. That period is closed.

    You can still contact the Flemish Government for your new application for the Study Allowance for higher education. Submit your application here.