My baby has been born. What should I do following the birth?

Congratulations on the birth of your little one! Enjoy those first precious moments. You will probably have quite a lot of tasks on your to-do list, such as sending out birth announcements, etc. We’ve prepared a handy checklist to prevent you from forgetting anything or missing out on any benefits:

Mijn kind is geboren

How can I receive my Maternity Allowance or Starting Amount?

Every newborn child is entitled to Child Benefit or the Growth Package. This consists of two fixed amounts: the one-off Maternity Allowance or Starting Amount and the basic monthly amount. Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to supplementary premiums and allowances.

  • If you live in Flanders, you are entitled to a Starting Amount of 1167,33 euros per birth. This replaces the former Maternity Allowance or Birth Premium.
  • If you live in Brussels, you are entitled to the Maternity Allowance per birth. If it is the father’s (or co-parent’s) and/or mother’s first child, then you are entitled to 1238,82 euros. If it is not the father’s (or co-parent’s) and/or mother’s first child, then you are entitled to a Maternity Allowance of 563,10 euros.
  • If you live in Wallonia, you will receive a Maternity Allowance of 1238,82 euros per birth.

Everything you need to know about Maternity Allowance

Haven't received your Starting Amount or Maternity Allowance before the birth? You can also apply after your baby has been born

Apply for Maternity Allowance here

When can you request the Starting Amount or Maternity Allowance?

You needn’t wait for the birth of your baby: you can apply for it during pregnancy. You will then receive the Maternity Allowance or Starting Amount 2 months prior to your due date. Forgot to request the Starting Amount prior to the birth? No problem: you can also request the Starting Amount after the birth.

Do I have to apply for my Growth Package or Child Benefit?

Already applied for a Starting Amount or Maternity Allowance? Then you needn’t apply for the Growth Package or Child Benefit. You will automatically receive your Growth Package or Child Benefit payments upon the birth of your child.

  • Live in Flanders? Then you are entitled to the Growth Package from the month of your baby’s birth.
  • Live in Brussels or Wallonia? Then you will receive your Child Benefit from the month following your baby’s birth.

Keen to know when to expect your first payment? Then view our handy payment calendar.


Checklist: what do you need to arrange following the birth of your little one?

Congratulations mum and dad! The new addition to your family will make your happiness complete. But don’t forget to take care of the necessary administrative matters before (sleepless nights aside) enjoying your parenthood in peace.

 Register the birth in the Civil Registry

One of the parents or a person who was present at the birth must register the child in the Civil Registry of the city or municipality where the child was born within 15 days of their birth. This also involves registering your little one’s surname.

Be prepared and make sure that you have the following documents in your possession:

  • mum and dad’s identity cards
  • your baby’s birth certificate
  • the ‘proof of birth’ declaration
  • if you’re married: your marriage certificate
  • if you’re not married: a copy of the paternity declaration (unless the child has not yet been officially recognised by the father or co-parent)

 Notify your Child Benefit fund

Already received your Starting Amount or Maternity Allowance from KidsLife? Then sit back and relax: you needn’t do another thing. We will automatically ensure that you receive your Growth Package (in Flanders) or Child Benefit (in Brussels and Wallonia) payments.

Not yet received the Starting Amount or Maternity Allowance (and thus have not yet applied for it)? Request it now and allow us to do the rest.

 Notify your health insurance provider

Notify your health insurance provider of your child’s birth - even if they’re automatically notified via the Central Database following registration in the Civil Registry. This enables them to make the necessary health insurance arrangements.

Send them an extract of the birth certificate - you’ll receive this once your son or daughter has been registered with the municipal authority. Your health insurance provider will subsequently register your child as a dependent. Shortly afterwards, you’ll receive your yellow stickers and an ISI card in the name of your little one.

You are also entitled to a birth gift from your health insurance fund upon the birth of your child. View the birth gift from CM (in Flanders and Brussels) or La Mutalité Neutre (in Wallonia) here.

 Notify your employer

Don’t forget to inform your employer of the good news. The mother’s partner can also request 15 days of paternity leave (or birth leave).

Self-employed? Be sure to inform your social insurance fund about your baby’s birth!

  Inform your childcare facility about the birth.

You should also notify your chosen childcare facility about the birth of your baby. That way you can together decide on the ideal starting date for your little one. You can also check whether your crèche provides open days. These help to make the switch to a new environment a little bit easier for both you and your child.

Not yet arranged childcare for your little one? Then view our tips on affordable childcare.

 Do you need to notify your insurance provider?

Most insurance policies, such as family insurance, don’t require you to inform the provider about the birth of your baby. With most family insurance policies, the family is automatically insured.

If you have hospitalisation insurance, then it is advisable to inform the insurance provider about your baby’s birth. That way you can immediately insure your little one and avoid excessive hospitalisation costs.

 Maternity Care can begin

Planning to make use of Maternity Care? Then inform the Maternity Care service about the birth of your child. That way they can start providing assistance.

Not yet applied for Maternity Care and want to learn more about it?
Read everything you need to know about Maternity Care here.


Betaalbaar geluk van KidsLife

Affordable happiness from KidsLife

We certainly don't need to tell you that having a baby is expensive! KidsLife gives you a helping hand, with the Maternity Allowance and the monthly Child Benefit or Growth Package!
And there are many more benefits for you and your family that you probably don’t even know about! Fortunately, our Affordable Happiness page is packed with handy budgeting tips for families with children. These will help to ensure that you never miss out on any benefits.

View our Affordable Happiness page

Parental leave: enjoy spending more quality time with your child

Your little one will be attending pre-school before you know it. And by the time you begin dropping your son or daughter off at secondary school, you’ll be wondering where the time went. They grow up so quickly! Want to enjoy your little one’s childhood to the maximum, or are you having difficulty finding a suitable childcare facility? Mums and dads are eligible for parental leave.

Parental leave can be taken in 1 go, or spread over various periods. As long as you take it prior to your child’s 12th birthday.

Read everything you need to know about parental leave here.


Want to receive your Growth Package/Child Benefit payments from KidsLife? Submit your application quickly and easily online! We will ensure that you never miss out on any benefits!

Apply for the Growth Package/Child Benefit from KidsLife