I’m moving home: how will this affect my Child Benefit?

Belgium comprises 3 regions, which each determine their own Child Benefit payment amounts and conditions. If you move to another region, then you’ll be subject to the conditions and payment amounts associated with your new region. If you move within the same region, you’ll continue to be subject to the same conditions and amounts as before.
I’m moving within Belgium, but will continue to reside in the same region (Flanders – Brussels – Wallonia)

I’m moving within Belgium, but will continue to reside in the same region (Flanders – Brussels – Wallonia)

If you move within Belgium but continue to reside in the same region (Flanders, Brussels or Wallonia), then in principle there will be little change to your Child Benefit. You’ll continue to receive the same payment amounts and be subject to the same conditions as before.

Moving home but are now a single parent or cohabiting with a new partner? This can affect your Social Allowance and Study Allowance entitlement. No longer living with the other parent of your child? We’ll be happy to answer all your questions on how co-parenting affects your Growth Package and Child Benefit.

What should I do if I move to another region within Belgium?

What should I do if I move to another region within Belgium?

Growth Package or Child Benefit payment amounts and conditions for entitlement differ per region.

The following step-by-step plan explains what to do if you move to another region!

  1. You must officially change your address at the Population Register of the municipality that you’re moving to.

KidsLife is notified immediately after a community officer has visited to check that everything has been registered correctly. Your file is linked to the Belgian national register, and

  1. KidsLife will automatically transfer your file to the new region.
  2. You’ll receive confirmation that your file has been successfully transferred to the new region. You’ll also receive a document on which to sign your consent for KidsLife continuing to pay your Child Benefit or Growth Package in the new region. Please return this signed document by post or email as quickly as possible.

Will my Child Benefit payment amounts change if I move regions?

The Child Benefit payment amounts differ per region. This means that you might receive a different amount following your move. Calculate how much Child Benefit or Growth package you’ll receive in your new region.

Please note: Your new KidsLife adviser will investigate whether you’re entitled to Child Benefit or the Growth Package according to the conditions of your new region. We may need to request information in order to perform this investigation.

For example: The family of 20-year-old Maxime moves from Wallonia to Flanders on 7 March. KidsLife Flanders will assume responsibility for Maxime's file from 1 April. In Flanders, we require a school certificate for all young persons aged 18 or over in order to continue paying the Growth Package. In Wallonia, we can continue to pay up until the age of 21 without a school certificate in certain cases. KidsLife Flanders will therefore require a school certificate from Maxime in order to continue making payments.

View the conditions and payments associated with the Growth Package in Flanders and Child Benefit in Brussels or Wallonia.

What is an intra-regional regularisation?

Sometimes a change of address is not registered in the national register in time. This can result in a particular region paying your Child Benefit or Growth Package for too long. This triggers an intra-regional regularisation: The region that has paid too much will reclaim the overpaid Child Benefit from the new region. The new region will pay the Child Benefit with retroactive effect and transfer this amount to the old region.

For example: The Verbeek family moves from the Flanders region to the Brussels region on 15 May. The registration at the municipality is delayed and KidsLife does not receive notification of their move until 2 July as a consequence. In this case, KidsLife Flanders pays the Growth Package up to and including the month of July and subsequently transfers the file to KidsLife Brussels. KidsLife Flanders will then reclaim the Growth Package paid out in June and July from KidsLife Brussels.

I’m moving from or to a foreign country

I’m moving from or to a foreign country

Live in Belgium and work abroad? Or live abroad and work in Belgium? Recently moved to Belgium and want to apply for Child Benefit or the Growth Package for the first time? KidsLife is happy to provide the necessary support and assistance! We’re happy to explain the various scenarios and tell you exactly what you need to do so that you will not miss out on any of your entitlements!

5 handy tips for moving home

1. Report your change of address to the municipality

Arrange to have your address officially changed at the municipal services in your new place of residence. A community officer will visit your new home to confirm that you’re residing at your new address. Your address will subsequently be amended in the Belgian National Register. Certain agencies, such as the KidsLife Child Benefit Fund and government institutions, will automatically receive notification of your move at this point.

Handy tip: Bpost arranges mail-forwarding to your new address. This avoids the risk of unpaid invoices and prevents you from having to return to your previous home unnecessarily. You can then inform the senders of forwarded mail of your new address at your own convenience.

2. Examine your rental contract thoroughly.

It’s important to read the small print. Scrutinise all the conditions contained in your rental contract. Which costs are included in the rent, and which are not? Does the septic tank require emptying, for example, or do the trees in your garden need to be pruned? Make sure that you include these costs in your budget plan! Also check the contract duration and notice period to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

3. Utility contracts

Make sure that your contracts for telephone, internet, TV, gas and electricity are concluded prior to moving into your new home. Sometimes installers need to visit your home, so book your appointments in plenty of time. The previous tenant must first provide the gas and electricity meter readings to their energy company and terminate their contract. This is usually done via an energy transfer document, which furnishes you with the data of all parties involved. Keep this document until you receive a statement from your energy supplier.

Check whether you have any payment orders (direct debits) that require amending.

4. Insurance

Make sure that you contact your home insurance company to amend your home contents or fire insurance. You might wish to consider taking out home removal insurance, which protects you against any damage to your belongings.

Be careful that you’re not over-insured. View our tips for managing your insurance budget.

5. authorities that you have to notify yourself!

Some institutions are automatically notified of your move, others are not.

Don’t forget to inform your employer, bank, insurance company, any associations that you’re a member of and your newspaper or magazine subscriptions, for example.

Jobseekers must also inform the VDAB (Flemish Service for Employment and Vocational Training)/Actiris and their payment agency.

If you have a company that’s registered at your home address and the business is moving to your new address, then you must report your change of address to the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises (KBO) at an enterprise counter within one month. 

Are you not yet receiving Child Benefit from KidsLife? As a National Child Benefit Fund, you will always receive the correct amount.

Join now
Hospitalisation insurance during pregnancy: everything you wish to know

Hospitalisation insurance during pregnancy: everything you wish to know

Pregnant? Then hospitalisation insurance will come in handy. Find out all about it here.
Hospitalisation insurance during pregnancy: everything you wish to know
The basic amount: monthly Child Benefit amounts per child.

The basic amount: monthly Child Benefit amounts per child.

Children who are entitled to the Growth Package or Child Benefit receive a basic monthly amount. This basic amount can be topped up with supplementary allowances or premiums. Your basic amount is based on a number of conditions and may vary per child. 
The basic amount: monthly Child Benefit amounts per child.
School allowance

School allowance

In certain circumstances children who attend pre-, primary or secondary school are entitled to the Study Allowance. This allowance is also referred to as the selective participation allowance and is intended for families on low incomes. You receive this in addition to the school premium or school bonus that’s paid out in August. 
School allowance