Frequently Asked Questions: Child Benefits and Growth Package

  • Child Benefits

    When will I receive my Growth Package or Child Benefit?

    Child Benefit is always paid on the 8th of each month. If the 8th falls on a weekend, then we will pay it on the last working day prior to that weekend. Please check our payment calendar for the various payment dates. 

  • Child Benefits

    Who can request a Growth Package/Child Benefit certificate?

    You can only apply for a certificate if you yourself are the Child Benefit or Growth Package beneficiary. Furthermore, you can only create a certificate if you are logged in to the my KidsLife customer portal.  

  • Child Benefits

    What is the maximum age for Child Benefit entitlement?

    The maximum Growth Package and Child Benefit entitlement is up to and including the month of your 25th birthday. The final payment will therefore take place at the beginning of the month following your 25th birthday. Please note that from the age of 18 upwards you must satisfy a number of criteria in order to retain your Child Benefit entitlement.

  • Child Benefits

    What arrangements must I make in terms of Child Benefit if I move house?

    Moving house is a major event. KidsLife makes things easy. Simply change your address via your municipality’s registration service and we'll take care of the rest.
    Moving abroad? Please let us know.

  • Child Benefits

    What happens to your Child Benefit if your child no longer lives at home?

    Once children marry, have children of their own, become emancipated or start living alone as a 16+ year old, they will receive their Child Benefit and Growth Package payments themselves. In the aforementioned circumstances, children can opt to have these payments made to someone else. Please contact your KidsLife advisor to discuss the various options.  

  • Child Benefits

    How can I change the bank account number to which my Child Benefit is paid?

    KidsLife customers can readily change the bank account number to which their Child Benefit and Growth Package are deposited on their myKidsLife online Child Benefit file.
    You can also submit your new bank account number in writing! The document for submitting a new bank account number in writing is available here
    Prefer to submit your bank account number in another way? Then please contact your KidsLife adviser directly.

  • Child Benefits

    What are Participation Allowances?

    The Participation Allowances form part of the Growth Package, the new Child Benefit in Flanders. Your child may be entitled to these allowances if they satisfy certain criteria:

    Childcare Allowance: Those using Dutch-language childcare in Flanders or Brussels are entitled to a Childcare Allowance of 3,36 euros per child, per day of childcare.

    Toddler Allowance: 3-year-old children who are enrolled in Dutch-language education, and 4-year-old children who remain enrolled and attend school frequently enough, receive an additional 137,96​​​​​​​ euros per year.

    Study Allowance: This supplementary allowance provides support to low-income families with school-aged children in Dutch-language education. The Study Allowance replaces the Education Allowance for children up to and including secondary education.

    Become a customer

  • Child Benefits

    What is a Growth Package/Child Benefit certificate?

    A Child Benefit certificate serves as proof that KidsLife pays Child Benefit for your child(ren). 
    Would you like to request or download such a certificate? You can obtain a certificate via your online Child Benefit file in 5 minutes.

  • Child Benefits

    In which situations are grandparents entitled to Child Benefit?

    Grandparents can receive Child Benefit for their grandchildren if they are registered at their address. This is on the condition that the parents are not registered at this same address.

  • Child Benefits

    My old bank account number has been closed. How will I receive future payments?

    If your bank account number has been closed, then please notify your KidsLife customer adviser immediately. We’ll ensure that no subsequent payments are made to this account. You can enter a new bank account number on your My KidsLife customer portal or on the 'Growth Package or Child Benefit bank account payment' form. If a payment has already been transferred to the closed bank account, then the amount will immediately be returned to the KidsLife bank account. We’ll subsequently delete your bank account number and repay the amount via a circular cheque that’s sent to your home address.