KidsLife will be out of office on monday 29/5 and exceptionnally on Friday 2/6.

Increased Child Benefit

In addition to the amounts of child benefit or the Growth Package to which every child is entitled, you may, as a family, also be entitled to increased child benefit. Toddlers in Flanders, for example, may be entitled to the Toddler Allowance, while low-income families may be entitled to a Social Allowance. View all the types of increased child benefit here.
What is the increased Child Benefit or Growth Package?

What is the increased Child Benefit or Growth Package?

Every child is entitled to a basic amount. Depending on the situation, additional benefits or allowances can still be added

  • Benefits based on your child, such as health care allowance, orphan's allowance, toddler allowance, etc.
  • Additional benefits for your family such as the social allowance.
  • You will automatically receive to what you are entitled.
  • KidsLife always pays out the highest possible amount.

Receive child benefit from KidsLife

At KidsLife, we ensure that you always receive the maximum amount to which you are entitled with the Increased Child Benefit. Not yet receiving your Child Benefit or Growth Package from KidsLife? Then hurry up and request it!

Apply for child benefit

Calculate the increased Child Benefit and Growth Package

KidsLife calculates exactly the amount to which you are entitled and adjusts this immediately if the child's situation changes. You do not need to apply for an increased child benefit. 
Would you like to calculate yourself how much Child Benefit or Growth Package you would receive in a certain situation? Carry out a simulation of the amounts.

Simulate your amount here

Situations for increased Child Benefit

Social Allowance on top of Child Benefit

Social supplement is an additional allowance on top of the basic amount. The conditions for this social allowance depend on the region where you live.  

In Flanders, the social allowance is part of the Growth Package. The entitlement to the social allowance depends on your family situation and your family income and is calculated automatically by KidsLife. You can find out about the social allowance in the Growth Package here.

Growth Package Social Allowance

In Brussels, this is known as the income-related allowance. This allowance depends on your family income, your family situation and the age of the children. View the social allowance in detail here.

Social Allowance with Child Benefit

In Wallonia, the entitlement to the Social Allowance depends on your family situation. This takes account of the gross taxable annual income, the number of persons in the family and the BIM status of the parent.

Social Allowance with Child Benefit


Care allowances

Care allowances

Orphan’s allowance

Children who lose one or both parents receive additional support. They are entitled to an orphan’s allowance (previously known as the care allowance for orphans), providing they are entitled to a Child Benefit or the Growth Package.

Foster care allowance

Children who are placed with a foster family in Flanders may be entitled to a monthly allowance on top of the basic Growth Package amount. This allowance amounts to 66,89 euros.

Care allowance for children with specific support needs

Some families could use a bit of extra help. For example, if a child is sick for a long period or needs extra support because of a mental or physical disability. A Care Allowance exists to make such care a little easier financially.

Participation allowances in Flanders

Participation allowances in Flanders

Childcare Allowance

Those using Dutch-language childcare in Flanders or Brussels can count on a Childcare Allowance of €3,43 per child per day of childcare.

Preschool Allowance

3-year-old toddlers, who are enrolled in Dutch-language education, and 4-year-old children, who remain enrolled and attend school frequently enough, receive an additional €140,72 preschool allowance per year.

School Allowance

The school allowance provides support to lower-income families with school-age children in Dutch-language education. The School Allowance replaces the study allowance for children up to and including secondary education.

Being a single parent doesn’t automatically entitle you to a social allowance

Your family income must not exceed a certain threshold to be eligible to receive this. The fact that you are a single or divorced parent likely has an influence on your family income. This may make you eligible. 

The threshold amounts and the composition of this Social Allowance depend on where you and your children live: Flanders, Brussels or Wallonia

KidsLife automatically pays your Social Allowance if you are entitled to it! We do this following receipt of your tax return. We always receive this 2 years after the income year. 

We (re)evaluate your Social Allowance for 2019 in 2021. We receive confirmation of your 2019 income from the federal government in 2021.  

Eligible for this allowance and prefer not to wait 2 years? Contact your KidsLife adviser to submit an application. 

View all of the conditions pertaining to the Social Allowance here

You are entitled to a Social Allowance if your gross family income is less than a certain threshold. We receive an overview of your total family income from the FPS Finance, based on your tax return.
Your definitive data is only available 2 years later.
For example, your 2019 income will only be available in 2021.

Thus it is only possible to make a (definitive) validation of your Social Allowance entitlement 2 years after the date. 

Already received a Social Allowance payment? Then we will check whether you have received this correctly.
Not yet received a Social Allowance payment? Then we will examine your eligibility and potentially pay the supplement retroactively. 

Check your eligibility for the Social Allowance here. 


KidsLife assists low-income families by paying them a supplementary allowance: the Social Allowance
The Social Allowance is entirely dependent on your personal situation: your place of residence, your income and your family circumstances.

View all of the conditions that apply to your Social Allowance here


If your family income changes, this can affect your entitlement to the social allowance and the selective participation allowance (school allowance). Your entitlement is automatically investigated based on your income from 2 years ago (via your tax return). Suddenly earning significantly more and receiving a social allowance from KidsLife?
 Then please notify us so that we can terminate your social allowance and consequently prevent a potential clawback payment.

Now earning significantly less and not currently receiving a social allowance from KidsLife? Then contact us so that we can send you the relevant form. Please complete this form specifying your income and return it to us, together with the necessary supporting documents.


Your family may be entitled to supplementary child benefit in addition to the standard Growth Package and Child Benefit amounts (to which every child is entitled). You can view all types of supplementary child benefit here.

In many cases you needn’t submit a request for supplementary child benefit and we automatically ensure that you receive the correct entitlement. However, you may have to submit a request to KidsLife in certain situations.  Believe that you qualify for an allowance, but aren’t currently receiving it? Then please contact your KidsLife adviser, who’ll gladly assist.

Do not miss out on any benefits for your family

At KidsLife, we ensure that you receive that to which you are entitled!

Are you still not receiving a Growth Package or Child Benefit from KidsLife? Then join us today. 

Join KidsLife
I'm pregnant

I'm pregnant

You’re pregnant! Congratulations! Perhaps you already have children and know what to expect? Or perhaps this is your first baby? One thing’s for sure: you’ve got 9 emotionally-charged months ahead of you. KidsLife is happy to assist you throughout your journey, right from the very onset of your pregnancy. And our handy tips will ensure that you don’t miss out on any benefits during ‘Project Baby.’
I'm pregnant
Gynaecologist or midwife: who does what?

Gynaecologist or midwife: who does what?

When you are pregnant, it is important to keep a close eye on your health and that of your baby. But who takes care of this monitoring? A gynaecologist or a midwife? Who does what? Who can you share your concerns with? And are these appointments reimbursed? These are all important questions for the parents-to-be.
Gynaecologist or midwife: who does what?
Time credit with or without a justified reason: everything you need to know.

Time credit with or without a justified reason: everything you need to know.

A break from work? Everybody needs it from time to time. Here, you'll find the answer to questions like: What are the conditions for taking time credit? Can I get time credit benefits? Are the rules different if I work in Education? 
Time credit with or without a justified reason: everything you need to know.