What is the Childcare Allowance?
The Childcare Allowance is a Participation Allowance for children who attend a Dutch-speaking, non-income-related childcare facility that is approved by the Child and Family Agency.
- The childcare facility supplies your child’s attendance record to your Child Benefit Fund.
- You will receive your Childcare Allowance on the 20th of the month following the month of childcare.
- Providing you satisfy the conditions, you are entitled to a Childcare Allowance of 3,43 euros per child, per day of childcare.
Your child attends a childcare facility.
The childcare facility submits information to KidsLife
KidsLife pays your Childcare Allowance on the 20th of the month.
Practical information about the Childcare Allowance
Who is entitled to the childcare allowance?
Some conditions apply for your child in order for you to receive the childcare allowance.
- Your child attends a Dutch-language childcare facility in Flanders or Brussels-capital.
- The childcare fee is not calculated based on your income.
- Your child has not yet started attending pre-school. If he or she is already half attending pre-school and is still half in childcare, you will not receive an allowance.
How do you obtain the childcare allowance?
Do you live in Flanders? Then you don't have to do a thing. Your childcare facility will provide a record of your child's attendance to your child benefit payment provider (possibly via the Child and Family Agency). Your childcare allowance will be automatically paid out on the 20th of the month following the month of childcare.
Please note: if you live in Brussels or Wallonia, this is not an automatic process and you must submit an application.
How much is the childcare allowance per childcare day?
8-month-old Oona attended a childcare facility for 15 full days and 2 half days in October. She was entitled to a childcare allowance of 16 days of care x 3,43 Euros that month.
Not receiving a Growth Pack from KidsLife yet?
Don't miss out on any more benefits. Join today!
View frequently asked questions
The Childcare Allowance forms part of the Growth Package, the new Child Benefit in Flanders. Children who attend Dutch-speaking childcare in Flanders or Brussels may be entitled to this supplement of 3.23 euros per day. Only those childcare facilities that exempt you from payment based on your income are eligible for this. Read everything you need to know about the Childcare Allowance eligibility criteria here.