Who is entitled to the Study Allowance?

In the majority of cases, KidsLife pays the Study Allowance, also known as School Allowance, to the parent(s), beneficiaries or benefit recipient.

Adult children who are in secondary education and are married, independent or single, receive the Study Allowance themselves.

Apply for School Allowance

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is entitled to the Study Allowance?

In de meeste gevallen betaalt KidsLife aan de ouder(s), begunstigden of bijslagtrekkende.
Meerderjarige kinderen die secundair onderwijs volgen en gehuwd, zelfstandig of alleenstaand zijn, die ontvangen zelf de Schooltoeslag.

When is the Study Allowance paid?

KidsLife receives all the necessary information from the Flemish Government. We automatically pay the Study Allowance or Selective Participation Allowance (SEPAR) based on this information. The timing of your Study Allowance payment consequently depends on several factors. Study Allowance payment is typically made as follows:

  • Families with minor children only: from September/October.
  • Families with at least 1 adult child: from October to December.                               
  • Study Allowance payment depends on the completeness of the information that we receive from the Flemish Government

Example: A person who doesn’t register at an accredited school until the month of October will not be entitled to payment in September. As soon as we have received the information, you will receive a weekly payment from KidsLife.

Please note: No application is necessary! Already receive your Child Benefit or Growth Package from KidsLife? We ensure that every family that’s entitled to the Study Allowance receives this automatically. Handy, right? 

Until what age are you entitled to the Study Allowance?

We make a distinction between nursery/primary and secondary education. For the latter category, you can retain your Study Allowance entitlement until the year in which the student turns 22. There is no age restriction for BuSO (special-needs secondary education) and HBO5 Nursing. 

You must request the Study Allowance or Education Allowance in Higher Education from the Flemish Government.


What’s the difference between the Study Allowance and the School Bonus?

The School Bonus is a school premium (or education allowance) for all families with children and is automatically paid by KidsLife in August, together with your Child Benefit for the month of July.

The Study Allowance is a supplementary amount for low-income families. KidsLife automatically pays this before the end of the year to all families who are entitled to it.

When do I need to apply for the Study Allowance?

KidsLife makes things easy by automatically paying the Study Allowance at the end of the year.

You can submit an application:

  • If you live in Brussels or Wallonia and your child is attending a recognised Flemish school. Contact us and and we’ll investigate your  Study Allowance entitlement.