Frequently Asked Questions

  • Kleutertoeslag

    The Toddler Allowance forms part of the Growth Package, the new Child Benefit in Flanders. All 3- or 4-year-old children who attend a Dutch-speaking school in Belgium (frequently enough) are entitled to this one-off premium.

    If you live in Flanders, you will automatically receive this premium if you’re entitled to it.

    If you don’t live in Flanders, then you must submit an application to KidsLife. 

    Toddler Allowance payment is made following the child’s 3rd or 4th birthday. 

  • School Allowance

    The study allowance or education allowance is paid to the child benefit recipient. However, it’s calculated based on the family income of the parent(s) or actual caregiver(s) with whom the child is domiciled. If the child is married, self-sufficient or living alone, then the study allowance is calculated based on the income of the child and their cohabiting partner if applicable. 

  • School Allowance

    KidsLife receives all the necessary information from the Flemish Government. We automatically pay the School Allowance or Selective Participation Allowance (SEPAR) based on this information. The timing of your Study Allowance payment therefore depends on several factors. Study Allowance payments are made from the end of August until December. 

    The payment of your School Allowance is dependent on the completeness of the information we receive from the Flemish Government

    Please note: No application is necessary! Already receiving your Child Benefit or Growth Package from KidsLife? We ensure that all families with an entitlement to the School Allowance receive this automatically. Handy, right?

  • School Allowance

    We make a distinction between nursery/primary and secondary education. For the latter category, you can retain your Study Allowance entitlement until the year in which the student turns 22. There is no age restriction for BuSO (special-needs secondary education) and HBO5 Nursing. 

    You must request the Study Allowance or Education Allowance in Higher Education from the Flemish Government.


  • School Allowance

    KidsLife makes things easy by automatically paying the Study Allowance at the end of the year.

    You can submit an application:

    • If you live in Brussels or Wallonia and your child is attending a recognised Flemish school. Contact us and and we’ll investigate your  Study Allowance entitlement.
  • School Allowance

    The KidsLife Child Benefit Fund pays the Study Allowance up to and including secondary education. Is your son or daughter now pursuing higher education at college or university? Then you’ll have to apply for the education allowance yourself via the Flemish Government. The education allowance from the Flemish Government has largely the same conditions as those for the Study Allowance.

  • School Allowance

    The School Bonus is a school premium (or education allowance) for all families with children and is automatically paid by KidsLife in August, together with your Child Benefit for the month of July.

    The Study Allowance is a supplementary amount for low-income families. KidsLife automatically pays this before the end of the year to all families who are entitled to it.

  • School Allowance

    You’ll automatically receive the Study Allowance or Education Allowance if you’re entitled to it, providing that you live in Flanders and up to and including secondary education. 
    Don’t live in Flanders? Then you can apply for the Study Allowance from KidsLife. 
    Is your son or daughter attending higher education? Then you must submit an application to the Education department. 

    View all of the conditions that apply to the Study Allowance here


  • School Allowance

    In the majority of cases, KidsLife pays the Study Allowance, also known as School Allowance, to the parent(s), beneficiaries or benefit recipient.
    Adult children who are in secondary education and are married, independent or single, receive the Study Allowance themselves.