What constitutes a de facto family?

You form a de facto family if…
… you live with another person at the same address ...
…and you collectively contribute to the household finances ...
…and you’re not a relative up until the third degree ...

In other words, you cannot form a de facto family with your first-, second-, or third-degree relatives (or in-laws), such as your sister, stepbrother, dad, grandmother, or aunt.
You can therefore form a de facto family with your “cousin”. This implies the fourth-degree child of your aunt or uncle.

Thus you needn’t be married or legally cohabiting. Whether you are of the same or a different sex makes absolutely no difference.

Still unsure whether you form a de facto family?

Then check this with your KidsLife adviser


Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my Growth Package or Child Benefit?

Child Benefit is always paid on the 8th of each month. If the 8th falls on a weekend, then we will pay it on the last working day prior to that weekend. Please check our payment calendar for the various payment dates. 

What happens after your entitlement to Child Benefit ceases?

The maximum age for Child Benefit and Growth Package entitlement is 25 years. From the age of 18 upwards, you must satisfy certain criteria in order to retain your Child Benefit and Growth Package entitlement. No regular or automatic substitute applies once your entitlement to Child Benefit has ceased. If your child was entitled to a Care Allowance due to a specific support requirement, then they may be entitled to a Disability Allowance once their Child Benefit entitlement has ceased.  Please note that this is not an automatic entitlement. It must be requested and the application subsequently investigated.

In which situations are grandparents entitled to Child Benefit?

Grandparents can receive Child Benefit for their grandchildren if they are registered at their address. This is on the condition that the parents are not registered at this same address.

What is the maximum age for Child Benefit entitlement?

The maximum Growth Package and Child Benefit entitlement is up to and including the month of your 25th birthday. The final payment will therefore take place at the beginning of the month following your 25th birthday. Please note that from the age of 18 upwards you must satisfy a number of criteria in order to retain your Child Benefit entitlement.

What arrangements must I make in terms of Child Benefit if I move house?

Moving house is a major event. KidsLife makes things easy. Simply change your address via your municipality’s registration service and we'll take care of the rest.Moving abroad? Please let us know.